The Ultra-Low Overnight Rate is now available to residential and small business customers.
Enova customers that use more electricity at night, including shift workers and those that electrically heat their home or charge their electric vehicle, could save up to $90 per year by shifting demand to the ultra-low overnight rate period when province-wide electricity demand is lower.
The Ultra-Low Overnight rate, set by the Ontario Energy Board, is 2.8 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh), which is significantly lower than the current off-peak rate, in exchange for a higher on-peak rate.
Delivery of this rate is possible as Ontario continues to have abundant clean electricity during overnight hours. Shifting electricity use to these hours will allow the province to better leverage Ontario’s clean electricity supply, increasing grid efficiency, resulting in potential capacity cost savings for the electricity system of up to $5.7 million per year, helping to reduce costs for all Ontarians.
Ultra-Low Overnight Rate pricing and periods
|ULO Price Periods
|ULO Prices (¢/kWh)
|Every day 11pm – 7am
|Weekends and holidays 7am – 11pm
|Weekdays 7am – 4pm and 9pm to 11pm
|Weekdays 4pm – 9pm
- The Ultra-Low Overnight (ULO) rate is available to residential and small business customers who pay Regulated Price Plan rates, such as Time-of-Use or Tiered rates. Residential and small business customers who have a contract with an electricity retailer are not eligible for ULO.
- Eligible customers who choose the ULO rate plan will see the rates applied to their electricity consumption on the first full bill cycle after they complete their pricing plan switch. Your bill cycle dates can be found on your Enova bill.
- To see which electricity rate plan best suits your lifestyle, visit Enova’s online customer portal, or use the Ontario Energy Board’s Bill Calculator.
- The Ultra-Low Overnight rate will help reduce emissions by encouraging the use of more nighttime electricity, which is typically generated from clean, zero-emissions resources like nuclear, hydro and wind power.
Frequently asked questions about the Ultra-Low Overnight price plan
Switching to ULO is easy.
f a change in pricing plan will be beneficial to you, it is quick and easy to make the change. Please select one of these options to make the switch:
- Switch through My Account:
If you’re a Kitchener or Wilmot resident, visit My Account to make the switch.
If you’re a Waterloo, Wellesley, or Woolwich resident, make the switch through this online portal.
Please follow these instructions to switch your pricing plan:
– Login to My Account
– Click the “Price Comparison” option
– Select “Change My Rate Plan”
– On the next screen you will be shown your new plan, click “Submit Change Request” and you’re all finished
- If you’re a resident of Waterloo, Wellesley, or Woolwich, complete our online Customer Choice Pricing Plan. Or fill out the PDF version of the form.
- Customers who wish to switch to the ULO pricing plan can also complete the online Customer Choice Pricing Plan to make their selection.
You can switch to ULO at any time, but the new rates will not be in effect until your first full billing period after the switch has been completed.
Ultra-Low Overnight rates will be applied to your electricity use on your first full bill cycle after you have completed the switch, so you will see the rates on your bill for that bill cycle.
To see your bill cycle date, refer to your Enova bill.
The default price plan for residential and small business customers who do not select a different price plan is Time-of-Use.
You can find more information about what you need to consider when choosing your price plan on our rates page.